A warm, creamy tomato soup is just the thing you need to deal with the biting cold of winters. Tomato soup is not only delicious but healthy too as it offers the nutritional benefits that tomatoes are endowed with. Tomatoes are rich in potassium, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, magnesium, calcium and iron.
Ingredients: 4 large tomatoes, 2-3 garlic cloves, 1 small onion, 1 bay leaf, corn starch solution made by mixing 1 tsp corn starch and 2 tbsp water, 1 ½ tbsp. butter, 1 cup water, 1 tbsp cream, ½ tbsp. sugar, 1-2 slices of brown bread, black pepper powder, salt.
1. Boil water in a pan, add a little salt. Heat the water till it comes to a rolling boil.
2. Add the tomatoes to the water and switch off the flame. Let the tomatoes sit in the hot water for about half an hour. Close the lid to ensure cooking.
3. Chop the onions and ginger and set aside.
4. Heat a tawa and toast the bread till its crisp. Chop it into cubes and set aside.
5. Take out the tomatoes from the water. Remove the eyes and chopped them finely. Put the chopped tomatoes into the blender along with its juices and mix into a smooth puree.
6. Melt butter in a pan, add the bay leaf. Saute for a few seconds.
7. Add in the chopped ginger and sauté till the raw smell leaves. Add the onions and sauté till the onions turn translucent.
8. Add the tomato puree in the pan and let it simmer. Add the corn starch solution and let the puree thicken.
9. Add salt and pepper powder. Simmer for about 3-4 minutes.
10. Add sugar and stir well. Next, pour in the cream and simmer for about a minute.
Your tomato soup is ready. Garnish with the bread crumbs or croutons you have prepared and serve hot. So go ahead and try out this easy recipe to prepare a delicious soup!