Ulundu vada is a South Indian snack item which is easy to prepare and highly nutritious. It is made using urad dal which is a rich source of potassium, carbohydrate, dietary fibre, protein, calcium, iron, Vitamin B6 and magnesium.
Ingredients: 1 cup urad dal, ¼ tsp crushed pepper corns, ½ tsp cumin seeds, a pinch of hing, salt and oil.
1. Rinse and clean the dal. Soak in water for at least 5 hours.
2. Drain and put the dal in a grinder jar, add a little water and grind into a smooth batter.
3. You will have to add water time and again depending on the consistency of the batter.
4. Pour out the batter into a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients except oil in the batter and mix well.
5. Heat oil in a kadhai. Shape the batter into vadas and drop them into the pan when the oil is medium hot.
6. Fry till the vadas are crisp and golden. Scoop out, drain out excess oil and serve with coconut chutney or sambar.
This recipe is extremely easy to make and is a perfect and healthy snack. So go ahead and try it out today!