Urad Dal Fry
Urad dal recipe is a tasty North Indian style split black gram preparation served with rice, roti and parathas. Rich in dietary fibre and protein, black gram when cooked is sticky and is a heavier dal compared to tur dal and moong.
Method to prepare:
1. In a pressure cooker, add the soaked and drained urad dal, 2 1/2 cups water, turmeric powder, half of the minced ginger, one slit green chili and salt and pressure cook upto 2 whistles.
2. Alternately, you can add the urad dal in an earthen pot and cook over stove top or wood fire. Add at least 4-5 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce flame and slow cook till the dal turns soft yet hold shape.
3. In a small pan, add ghee and oil. Once it turns hot, add cumin seeds and allow spluttering. Add the kasuri methi and finely minced garlic and sauté for a few seconds. Add the remaining minced ginger and green chilies and mix. (Recommended for children usually above 1 year only)
4. Add red chili powder and mix. Add chopped tomatoes and sauté for 6 mts.
5. Immediately add this to the cooked dal and mix. Add garam masala powder and allow to simmer on low flame till the desired consistency is achieved. Adjust salt if required.
Healthy and interesting for kids to eat, if you liked it, share with your friends.