Veg Biriyani Kerala Style
Rice is a rich source of carbohydrates, protein, dietary fiber, calcium, iron, Vitamin B6 and magnesium. The problem to your solution is to spice up the taste of the rice by trying out this unique recipe. It is quick and easy to make.
Ingredients: 2 cups rice soaked in 4 cups water, ½ cup chopped cashews, 2 sprig curry leaves, ¼ cup raisins, ½ cup thinly sliced onions, 4-5 tbsp oil, a pinch of saffron dissolved in ½ tbsp. water, salt, 2 cups chopped potatoes, carrots and peas, ½ cup thinly sliced onions, 2 inch cinnamon, 7-8 cloves, 4-5 green cardamoms, 2 cups coconut milk, 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste, 2 green chillies chopped, ½ cup water, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp fennel powder, ½ tsp black pepper powder, ½ tsp red chilli powder, ½ tsp. turmeric powder, 1 tbsp. lemon juice, ½ tbsp. chopped mint and coriander leaves, salt.
1. Cook the rice till it is almost done. Heat oil in a pan, sauté curry leaves, cashew nuts and onions lightly and pour into the rice. Set aside.
2. Add some more oil into the pan and roast the whole spices. Now fry the chopped onions and add the ginger-garlic paste.
3. Next add the spice powders and sauté for a couple of minutes on low flame.
4. Add the coconut milk, yogurt and lemon juice into the masala and stir well.
5. Add vegetable, follow it with water and cover the lid of the pan to let the vegetables cook.
6. When the veggies are done and the gravy has reduced a bit, layer the gravy and rice one over the other.
7. On the top, sprinkle the chopped mint and coriander leaves, sprinkle the saffron water and some oil.
8. Cook this on a stove for about 20-25 minutes. Serve with raita.
Simple and quick, try out this recipe today!