Want to treat something special? Vegetable pulao is a scrumptious and healthy dish that you will love to have. Besides being a treat to the taste buds, vegetable pulao offers the goodness of fresh vegetables that are used in the dish. Fresh vegetables are a great source of potassium, carbohydrates, dietary fibre, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, calcium, iron, Vitamin B6 and magnesium, all of which are essential for the healthy development of your body and mind.
Ingredients: 1 ½ cups of basmati rice, ¼ cup chopped French beans, ¼ cup chopped tomatoes, 1/3 cup of peas, 1/3 cup chopped carrots, 1/3 cup chopped potatoes, 1/3 cup of chopped capsicum, 1/3 cup chopped cauliflower florets, 1/3 cup chopped mushrooms, 1/3 cup chopped onions, 2 ½ cups water, 3 tbsp. oil, ½ inch ginger chopped, 3-4 medium garlic cloves chopped, 1 green chilli chopped, 1 inch cinnamon, 2-3 green cardamoms, 1 black cardamom, 2-3 cloves, 2 single strands of mace, 1 bay leaf, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 3-4 whole pepper corns, ¼ cup thinly sliced onions for garnishing, 12-15 cashews, 1 tbsp. chopped coriander leaves.
1. Rinse the basmati rice till it is clear of starch. Soak the rice in water for half an hour. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan and caramelize the onions meant for garnishing. Remove and set aside. Roast the cashews in the same pan till they are golden. Remove and set aside.
3. Heat oil in a cooker and sauté the whole spices till they are fragrant.
4. Add the chopped onions and sauté till they are golden brown.
5. Meanwhile, grind the ginger, garlic and chillies into a smooth paste in a mortar and add it to the pan.
6. Saute till the raw aroma leaves. Add all the vegetables and sauté for a couple of minutes on low flame.
7. Add the drained rice and mix well. Pour water, add salt and close the lid of the cooker.
8. Cook till you get 2-3 whistles. On cooling, open the lid of the cooker and fluff the rice.
9. Garnish with caramelized onions, roasted cashews and chopped coriander leaves and serve.
This wholesome meal is great as it is absolutely delicious and nutritious. So get started on making this yummy meal!