Vegetable stew is a South Indian dish which is delicious and extremely healthy. It is made using fresh vegetables and coconut milk. The stew uses very less spices and oil and hence is great for the digestive system. In addition, it provides nutritional benefits of the vegetables used such as potassium, dietary fibre, protein, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, calcium, iron, Vitamin B6 and magnesium.
Ingredients: 2 carrots chopped, 1 large potato chopped, 1 cup peas, 70 gms French beans chopped, 1 onion thinly sliced, 3-4 garlic cloves crushed, 1 inch ginger julienned, 2-3 green chillies slit, 1 ½ inch cinnamon, 4-5 cloves, 1 tsp black pepper powder, 3-4 crushed green cardamoms, 2 ½ cups thin coconut milk, 1 cup thick coconut milk, 12-15 curry leaves, 2-3 tbsp. coconut oil, salt and sugar.
1. Heat coconut oil in a pan and add the whole spices and sauté till you can smell the aroma.
2. Add the onions, garlic, ginger, chillies and curry leaves and sauté till the onions are translucent.
3. Add the chopped vegetables and stir well. Pour in the thin coconut milk, cover the pan and let the vegetables cook for 10 minutes on low flame.
4. Remove the lid and pour the thick coconut milk, stir well and simmer for just a minute.
5. Add salt, stir and remove from the flame.
You can serve this vegetable stew with appams or steamed rice. Try out this recipe today and cook up a delicious breakfast!