Vegetable Yakhni Pulao
If you thought that the restaurant was the only place where you can enjoy a yakhni pulao, you are mistaken. You can now make this delicious dish at home using this recipe. Besides being a delight to the palate, this dish is also nutritious as it is made using fresh vegetables, which are rich sources of Vitamin C, Vitamin A, folic acid, dietary fibre and potassium.
Ingredients: ¾ cup diced potatoes, 1 cup chopped carrots, ½ cup chopped onions, 1 cup cauliflower florets, ¼ piece of nutmeg, ½ tsp. shahi jeera, 4 cloves, 1 cinnamon, 4 green cardamoms, few pepper corns, 1 bay leaf, 4 ½ cups of water, 1 ½ cups of basmati rice, ½ cup of yogurt, handful of chopped mint leaves, 1 tbsp. ginger garlic paste, ¼ cup soya chunks, 1 tsp. garam masala, 2 green chillies slit, 1 carrot cubed, 1 tbsp. ghee, 1 onion thinly sliced, ½ cup cubed capsicum, cashews.
1. Cook the potatoes, carrots, onions, cauliflower, nutmeg, shahi jeera, cloves, cinnamon, cardamoms, pepper corns, bay leaf in water. Let the vegetables soften, mash them with a spoon and collect only the broth.
2. Soak the soya chunks in water to soften them. Drain and set them aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan and roast 1 bay leaf, few pepper corns, 1 star anise, 1 strand of mace, ½ tsp. shahi jeera, 2 green cardamoms, 1 cinnamon stick and 4 cloves. Add green chillies and mint leaves and sauté.
4. Next, add the ginger garlic paste, the chopped vegetables and fry for 3 minutes.
5. Pour 2 ¼ cups of broth, salt and bring it to a boil. Now add rice mixed with yogurt into the broth and cook till the rice is just done.
6. Place a lid on top and keep the rice on a hot tawa for about 10 minutes.
7. Roast the onions, cashews and tomatoes in ghee in a separate pan.
8. When the rice is done, garnish with the roasted cashews, onions and tomatoes and serve.
Prepare this delicious dish for your little one today using this recipe!