Vella Dosai Whole Wheat Jaggery Crepe
Prepared using whole wheat flour and flavored with jaggery, this sweet breakfast option comes with the goodness of whole crabs plus iron. Just toast a handful of almonds in clarified butter and chop them into fine slices to be used as a topping for that protein dose.
To make Vella Dosai – Whole Wheat Jaggery Crepe
1) Whole wheat flour – 1 ½ cups, Jaggery – 1 cup, Water – 2 ½ cups, Cardamom powder -1 tsp, Clarified butter – for cooking and serving, Almonds – 10, toasted in clarified butter and thinly sliced.
2) In a deep pan, melt jaggery in 1½ cups water on medium heat. Filter to discard impurities.
3) In a large mixing bowl, place whole wheat flour. Add the melted jaggery to water.
4) With a wire whisk, mix the ingredients thoroughly to form dosa batter without any lumps.
5) Add more water, if required to get the batter consistency. Preheat a non-stick tawa on medium heat. Brush it with a little oil.
6) Pour 1/8 cup of the batter onto the tawa on medium flame. Too much of heat will disallow the batter to be spread out into concentric circles.
7) Spread out like dosa. Drizzle clarified butter and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on medium flame or until the bottom side turns golden brown.
Serve hot with ghee or butter, toasted almonds, and freshly sliced fruits.