Majority of Indian population depends on legumes or lentils for their protein intake. There exists at least one lentil based dish in every meal. Chickpeas, also called as Chole or Chana is rich in proteins and fibers making it a good option for kids protein needs.
Ingredients: 2 tbsp long grain rice, 20 soaked chickpeas (soaked for at least 12 to 15 hours for easy digestion), 1 carrot (cut into cubes), 1/6 tsp garam masala powder, 1/4 tsp ginger garlic paste, 2 pinches of carom seeds powder (Ajwain), 135 ml water (adjust as per the desired consistency), pinch of turmeric & pepper powder, 1 tsp ghee or butter, and salt to taste.
1. Wash and soak the rice for 30 minutes.
2. Pour 135 ml water to the rice and chickpeas.
3. Add carrot cubes, ginger garlic paste, and garam masala.
4. Pressure cook for 4 whistles.
5. Mash the boiled rice and chickpeas. To this add turmeric, pepper, carom seeds powder, and butter or ghee. You can even blend this into a puree.
6. Season it with tadka of curry leaves, mustard, and cumin seeds.
This can be served with hot rice and ghee.