Sorakaya (or bottle gourd) Pappu is usually made with toor dal only; but adding a little moong dal gives this dish the right taste and texture.
Ingredients: ¼ cup toor dal, ½ cup moong dal, 2 cups bottle gourd, salt as needed, small ball of tamarind (adjust to suit your taste).
For seasoning: Oil or ghee as needed (1 tbsp is good enough), mustard seeds, cumin seeds, 2-3 red chillies, curry leaves, 1-2 green chillies, 1 garlic clove, 1 inch ginger, pinch of hing, and 1/4 tsp turmeric.
1. Soak tamarind in hot water and set aside. Wash the toor and moong dal and add 1½ cups water in a pressure cooker or a pot. Begin to cook on a low flame until the sorakaya is chopped.
2. Wash, peel, and cube the sorakaya.
3. Add the cubed sorakaya to the cooking dals. If you wish you can add green chilies now.
4. On a low flame, pressure cook for 2 whistles (if cooking directly in the cooker) or for 3 to 4 whistles (if you are cooking in a bowl and then placing it in the cooker).
5. Remove the lid, add salt, add some squeezed tamarind pulp, and mash the dal and vegetables. Set aside.
6. Heat a pan with ghee or oil. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and red chillies.
7. When they splutter, add grated ginger, crushed garlic, green chillies, and curry leaves. Fry until you begin to get a good aroma.
8. Add hing and turmeric.
9. Let the seasoning boil once and then pour this to the mashed dal and vegetables.
10. Stir well and serve warm.